Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:52:29 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPSEC warning -- what are alternatives?

Vivek Khera wrote:
> Every time IPsec fires up on my 4.6 thru 4.7.2 machines, I get this
> warning:
>
>  WARNING: pseudo-random number generator used for IPsec processing
>
> I'm just curious as to what alternatives I have for the random number
> source, or is just an informational message reminding me that my
> randomness sucks?  Google found all of 5 pages on the web containing
> that warning, and none of them were *about* that warning.

Read "man 4 random", and pay special attention to the paragraph about
urandom and random.

On a personal level, I've found that networking applications (vpnd was
the experience) don't get enough data from /dev/random and will stall.
With /dev/urandom, the theoretical "guessibility" of the "random" data is
higher, but I've never heard of anyone getting cracked because they used
/dev/urandom.

You may also want to look at rndcontrol.  You might possibly be able to
tweak the random number generator so that /dev/random produces enough
data to feed IPsec.  I haven't tried this, however, so I don't know.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies