Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:35:54 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVR4.2MP source code has become available recently?

>This is the joke of modern software "non-disclosure". Do you really
>think that Jordan is worth enough for SCO to deal with suing? Or
>any other individual or small company?

Yes.  If, in fact, SCO believes their trade secrets have been compromised,
Jordan makes a wonderful target.  And they would *have* to, due to how
trade secret protection works.

But never let reality get in the way of your amusement, Dennis.

>Another interesting issue is that states and universities are exempt
>from many copyright infringement type suits (I forget the exact wording),

Wrong.

States are immune from copyright infringement, due to emminent domain.  This
has been upheld by the Supreme Court within the past 15 years.
(Specifically, someone sued a UCB employee for font copying; the court
concluded that, as long as the employee was acting in an official capacity,
he was immune, and UCB, being part of the state constitution, was also
immune.)

Universities in general do not have this protection; Stanford University's
only protection is that it has more lawyers than most states.  And most
state universities do not actually have this protection.

>You can't sue Cornell because some freshman puts
>a tarball on the internet "by accident".

Again:  wrong.

And also again:  don't bother letting reality get in the way of your
amusement, Dennis.

Sean.