Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:45:10 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Howard Picken" <howard@tasbusiness.net.au>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Repost: Internet Print Protocol

You don't want to do it like that.  What you want to do is set the remote
sites to LPR over the Internet to the FreeBSD box, which will then
relay it via LPR to the inside W2K box.  You set the allowed IP numbers
in /etc/hosts.lpd with the benefit of not having to compromise your firewall.

IPP is really intended for ROAMING users, ie: users with laptops.  Since these
remote sites are fixed IP numbers you will save yourself a lot of work if
you just use LPR.  IPP is icky, icky icky stuff, and the clients have to
use IE 4 or later to even get it to work.  It's just another proprietary
networking protocol from Microsoft that's intended to cause administrators
to have migraines.  What they figure is that by the time you ever get IPP
to work your going to be so sick of printing that you won't want to touch
it ever again.  LPR is your friend here!