Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 02:09:29 -0400
From:      Justin Wells <jread@semiotek.com>
To:        Chris Singer <csinger@uvic.ca>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using a Cable modem under FreeBSD?

I notice the .ca email address, so maybe you have Rogers Wave like I
do here in Toronto. If so:

  1) they're actually giving out static IPs even though they claim
     you need DHCP. So if you can somehow learn your IP, you can
     just set it. They may change your IP at some point, but only
     if they decide to renumber your whole network--this likely
     won't happen more than once or twice (it will happen if they
     decide they've allocated too few or too many IPs in your area).

     In my case the IP was printed on a sheet of paper they gave me.
     If worst comes to worst, you could probably use a lesser OS to
     run their install kit and grab your IP out of some window.

  2) if you use isc-dhcp under FreeBSD with rogers wave, the trick
     is to put this line in your dhcp config file:

           send dhcp-client-identifier "XXX";

     where XXX is your client hostname (probably a bunch of letters
     and numbers). It appears that dhcp uses this information to
     figure out which dhcp reply is intended for you; I'm not sure.

     I wasn't ever able to get wide-dhcp working, presumably because
     I wasn't able to find a place to specify my dhcp-client-identifier
     in that dhcp client.

Hope this helps,

Justin