Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 13:43:29 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jreynold@sedona.intel.com (John Reynolds)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1505 SCSI-II adaptor--Supported?

John Reynolds stands accused of saying:

> I am extremely interested in running FreeBSD on my computer, but I must make
> sure that I purchase a CD-ROM drive which will be compatible. I wish to run
> with the Adaptec 1505 SCSI-II CD-ROM adaptor (16-bit ISA) and wish to hook
> this up to a Sony 76S SCSI-II drive.

Ok; some observations :

The Sony CDU76S is a Bad Buy.  Don't get one.  I'd recommend the
Panasonic/Matushita CR-504B as an alternative.  Similar performance, price
etc., but far closer to the SCSI spec and thus less likely to give you
grief later on.

I don't know which chipset the Adaptec 1505 is based on; if you can look
at the chip on it and see "AIC 6360" or "AIC 6260" then it's supported.

These aren't terribly wonderful chips, but they should be OK for running
a CDrom.  Don't try putting a SCSI disk on it though, as performance will
be woeful.

> | John Reynolds            Component Design and Modeling                    |

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[