Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:34:11 -0600
From:      mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maildirs [OT?]

Sorry if this should've gone to -questions. Wasn't sure...

My question is about the mail dir (where the local delivery agent puts
incoming mail). It branches off into 'where does the $MAIL variable
come from' (and I'm pretty sure it isn't from under the cabbage patch).

Does it come from /etc/login.conf ? Is it hidden in a conf file some
where? In Ted Middlestadt's book, he sez that FreeBSD puts its mail
in /var/mail. This is familiar. How does one utilize the "feature" of
putting mail into something like $HOME/mail.

I use sendmail/procmail/cucipop for my users.

The real question:

Is the $MAILDIR specific to each program and therefore supported by
certain MTA's LDA's and pop3 servers or is it determined somewhere
in the OS and overridden by some of these programs?

Grateful for any clues, direction, man pages, reference material, etc.

mike