Date:      09 Nov 1998 11:33:02 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        archie@whistle.com, dave@comsite.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mpd + EQL, Livingston PM2 MLLB, alternatives? mpd load high?

Archie, I've been using your mpd-1.0b4 for a week now and it seems
very stable. I'm running it between a FreeBSD-2.2.7 box to a -2.2.1
box, and to a Livingston PortMaster-2 over a single POTS line.

I haven't played with multiple lines yet, but that's why I got
interested in mpd in the first place. I see in the mpd-1.0b5 source
there's a patch from Dave@comsite.net for Livingstons. Dave: is this
for the PM's multi-line load balancing (not really *multi-link* PPP)?
PM2 or only PM3? POTS or only ISDN?

If mpd works with Livingston PM2 POTS, I'll probably bail on the old
FreeBSD box I installed there to use as my endpoint for mpd -- might
save me some complexity and trouble. But I know the PM2 will only do
MLLB, not MLPPP over POTS...

The mpd-1.0b5 code's dated from about Dec'97. Would you still
recommend it or is user-land PPP up to snuff for multi-link/line?

Archie: I notice mpd with one line is consuming 10-15% of my 486-66
CPU when doing stuff like CVSUP or FTP downloads. Is this normal?  Due
to the link compression?  Will it increase as I add lines?  The 486 is
pretty much dedicated to being a dialup/router so this isn't a big
concern but it does indicate scalability problems if I try to
increase lines (or use even older hardware :-)

If you're mpd'ing into a FreeBSD box, how are you getting it to
advertise the routes? When I use pppd, I have gated advertising the
route to my /28 home net, but when I use mpd, it does not. I must have
something mal-configured cuz when I mpd (single-line) into the PM2, it
advertises the route no problem. A sample gated.conf would be very
helpful if you've got one.

Thanks!