Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:54:02 -0700
From:      "qjak9435" <qjak9435@netcom.ca>
To:        <Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD installation failure

I'm writing you today because for about a week now I've been trying to
install FreeBSD on my system.  I am installing it from a recent cd-rom
media edition 2.2.2 release.

Ok, lets start off with the problem.  When I boot from my cd-rom to enter
the installation stage everything starts out fine.  It boots up the kernel
successfully and brings me to the next step which is the kernel
configuration table.  From there, I have 3 choices.  I always choose the
visual mode for kernel entry modifications.  Next, I arrive at another
screen that is my userconfig table and here's the problem.  At the top of
the screen it tells me that I have 23 device conflicts.  Now, it seems, my
only choice is to reconfigure every device to avoid conflicts.

So, what I decided to do next is disable any drivers in the active range
of the list that aren't present in my system.  Then, alter the drivers
parameters in the editor table.  After, I pressed the q key to save the
parameters and exit.  Then, I was presented with a type of menu describing
the type of installation I wanted.  I chose the novice installation as
recommended.  Now, I have a dialog box telling me that the operating
system was installed with errors and that I should go trough the debugging
process of VTY1.  I don't have a clue of what VTY1 debugging means.

I also need to mention that at some point during the installation I
encountered two panic incidents that forced my system to shutdown.  The
two panic strings that were caught: signal 10 and 11.

Ok, my questions are as follows:

1) How do I use the VTY1 debugging mode?
2) Is there some way to avoid having to reconfigure every device on my
   system?
3) What do these panics represent?

I hope I gave you all the details needed to help me resolve the problems.
If you need more details or info please feel free to email.

Thank you for your time and understanding.