Date:      10 Jul 2001 13:57:45 -0400
From:      Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, wmoran@iowna.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org> writes:

> On 10 Jul 2001, Rajappa Iyer wrote:

> :One of the nice things I like about FreeBSD (and I daresay I'm not
> :alone in this) is that when I install it, I know that I'll get a
> :kernel with a corresponding full and functional userland.  I see the
> :packaging of this `base system' as a bunch of (meta)packages as the
> :thin edge of the wedge---pretty soon FreeBSD will resemble the
> :hodge-podge collection of different (often conflicting) packages that
> :Linux is.
>
> Where as I see the ability to incrementally upgrade only the parts of the
> OS that have changed from release to release as I can do right now in
> Irix.

Yes, I understand the argument, but fear that it's all too easy to get
into the kind of package mess that all Linux dists have.  It would
require considerable amount of release engineering and testing to get
everything right.  Do you really think it's worth expending that
amount of effort for an arguably minor improvement?

Regards,
Rajappa
--
<rsi@panix.com> a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.