Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:34:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        sfuqua@pulsar.cs.wku.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: style and diction

According to Garrett Wollman:
> <<On Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:08:36 -0500 (CDT), sfuqua@pulsar.cs.wku.edu (Stephen Fuqua) said:
>
> > Whatever became of style, diction, and other programs from the "writer's workbench?"
>
> So far as I know, these programs have never been part of the BSD
> system.  I associate them exclusively with System V and its
> predecessors (and thus the ATTIS/USG/USL/Novell/SCO side of the
> family).

	The diction suite was part of 4.4BSD-alpha.  But it got
	snagged out during the litigation that gave us Lite2.

	I bought some DOS shareware years ago that was a clone
	of part of the functionality of diction, style, etc., so
	it can't be that hard to clone.  Just requires someone
	with an exceptional grasp of English.  Plus the savvy
	to do the hack... .

	diction was written by profs at Brown or Cornell or one
	of those 15 or more years ago.  It might not hurt to
	ask people in the English Department <<wherevre>>  if
	they'd like to help create a clone or a superset.

	gary kline