Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:34:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, hm@kts.org, ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> Look at the "Linux GGI" code (run a search on AltaVista for it, or
> look for "Generic Graphic Interface" in the Linux groups on DejaNews).
> It is *exactly* the "super console" design that never got done in
> the BSD camps after it was first discussed in fall of 1993.

I've looked at it, and I'm not that impressed. It tires to solve the
problems we all know and love, but its still VERY green.
Its like the svgalib, its starts out as a good idea, but fall short
in getting enough support for all the different chipsets. It
seems they only have very rudimentary support yet, they havn't
gotten all of XFree86 in there yet...

Even XFree86 has now the problem that it "only" supports so many
chipsets, and I (and lots of others) has found it nessesary to
go BUY (yuck!) a Xserver to cope with ones wierd videohardware.

I think we are better of letting the Xserver vendors have the
"good times" doing the chiplevel support (hey then they can live
too!), and let the rest of us just use X, and then spend the
huge amounts of time we save on other businesses.

Oh, yes and the GGI people has allready written off all the *BSD's
by cribbeling the code with GNU's copytheft...
(XFree86 Inc can now find lots of their code GNUinfected :) :) )

Besides this I still think we could need a simple system that will
run on std VGA/EGA/CGA/HGA, and provide a simple graphics interface
for sysadm utils and the like, but being REAL small on resource
usage (yes I have been working on this for a looooong time, and
have most of whats needed, just no real use for it yet).
This can be done with the support we allready have, including
switching vtys etc etc....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..