Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 18:28:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        pirat sriyotha <sriyotha@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stand alone machine to internet via ISP

On Thu, 20 May 1999, pirat sriyotha wrote:

> i am using FreeBSD-3.1 and my machine is a standalone one. i do not
> connect to internet all the time but rather time to time in a short
> period connect to internet via my isp by dial up.
>
> would you please suggest me to config both machine and sendmail in
> order that i could connect to internet without any trouble (or flame) ?

Turn every service off that you won't be using.  If you won't be receiving
mail directly to the box, you can turn sendmail completely off. You can
still send mail, just not receive it directly on your box.  You're using
POP anyway, I'm guessing.

Sendmail also like to make freak DNS lookups, so this will help you if you
decide to set up on-demand dialing.

Doug White