Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:04:02 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Mauro Dias <localhost@dsgx.org>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sshd exploit

At 10:52 PM 11/28/2001, f.johan.beisser wrote:

>how long have you known of it? frankly, this is the first i've heard about
>it, let alone the exploit binary.

I reposted a report by Dave Dittrich to this list about two weeks ago. CERT
has also had it on its Web page for a while now. To sum it up in a few
sentences: Old versions of SSH have been hacked through the SSHv1 protocol,
and the vulnerable code was adopted by OpenSSH, so older versions of that
are vulnerable too.

My recommendation: compile and install OpenSSH 3.0.1p1. Or, if you need
some of the special integration that's been done in the Ports Collection,
use the latest version that's there (2.9.something the last time I looked).
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE shipped with OpenSSH 2.3.0, which may be OK (I'm not
sure just when they fixed the problem).

--Brett