Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 02:17:38 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CODE FREEZE is going to happen

 * 5)  I suggest that Satoshi start locking down the ports tree at this time
 *     as well, time to start getting that massive collection built and tested!

Okay...I'll take a look at the whole tree and post a list of things
that need to be taken a look at later today.  Meanwhile, the latest
packages are on wcarchive so people are welcome to grab and test them.

By the way, I have a REQUEST...sorry for yelling, but I need this
functionality real bad.

Can someone add the

    ldconfig -a <directory>

flag to ldconfig?  This tells ldconfig to scan the directory and add
everything in that directory to /var/run/ld.so.hints.  Or you can make
it one file only, it doesn't really matter...maybe that's easier and
safer.

The reason why I need is that the way it is right now, if I do a
top-down build on the ports tree, LIB_DEPENDS will correctly build and
install the dependee's shared library before it's needed, but if the
depender needs to actually *run* the program, it will go down in
flames.

And we can't just do "ldconfig" from the install rule with some
arbitrary path, because we don't know what the user has added to the
library path by herself.  I know I can set

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

for building ports but that still doesn't solve the problem for the
(either ports or package) users.

I will really appreciate it if someone can hack this up and add it to
the tree before the code freeze.

Thanks....

Satoshi