Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 01:11:54 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More bogons in Makefiles...

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 31, 1997 at 03:28:44PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Overall, I think that the focus should be on clarity over disk space
> savings.  Your stubbornness about obtaining more space aside, I think
> that the trend is towards disk space becoming cheaper than programmer
> brain cells, and I would not want to see the Makefiles cluttered with
> changes aimed at supporting partial builds - I think that the whole
> partial build problem is a fool's errand and not worth the time better
> spent in making dependencies work more consistently in a complete
> src tree.
>
> 				Jordan

Oh, I agree... why do you think the other 100 lines of diffs weren't in the
message ;) But there is nothing which wastes brain cells more than
spaghetti, and some of the Makefiles make even the worst assembly look good.
The more the src tree gets interwoven the more difficult it becomes to
upgrade components, remove components, etc.

I've taken the view that each src directory contains a component, and that
they should be able to know which other components they depend on, much like
the ports do, but without the problems of fetching and patching. Basically a
component must be able to say 'build x, y, and z (if it's around) before
me'. I dont think that is any different to what you are saying, or have been
saying for as long as I've been reading these lists.

I'm only stubborn about disk space because it forces me to learn... lots of
processing power and diskspace will only get you Free95 ;)

 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.