Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 02:24:19 -0800
From:      "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@la.best.com>
To:        Dean <dean@thegrid.net>, Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and DNS

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 07:45:25PM -0800, Dean wrote:
> Mike Holling wrote:
>
> > I have the same question you do about DNS.  One of my clients is using a
> > machine to IP masquerade his LAN onto the Internet via DSL link.  His
> > provider believes they will be able to successfully keep people from
> > "running servers" by monitoring traffic and probing connected machines.
> > Thus, they state that if they detect a DNS server running on his machine
> > they will charge him $500/mo extra.  Right now the machine is running a
> > local caching server for the LAN, and I can't think of any good way to
> > keep external machines from querying it while still allowing responses
> > from other DNS servers back in. Please let me know if you get any good
> > answers.

This is easy.  I've done this because somebody was pinging my IP for
DNS queries for a while when I didn't authorize nor advertise it.

You can either authorize only a certain group of IPs to access the DNS
server, as supported by DNS through the Bind 8 equavalent syntax of
allow-query-by,
  OR
using ipfw rules, allow any query packet in on 53, but do not return
replies out if the incoming packet comes from a certain range of IPs
  OR
using an ipfw rule, drop/reject incoming packets from a certain range
of IPs.

I don't know if it's legal for the ISP to monitor traffic as so, or
banning DNS servers, since it shouldn't really matter if somebody
runs their own DNS server for local caching only.  It's like chasing
butterflies while the buffalos rampage through the garden with quake
servers and such..

Anyways, them ipfw rules can be setup in advance of setting up a DNS
server to log how the ISP is probing his port 53, and set up
counter rules against it, maybe even send malicious icmp packets back.

Have fun,
--
Joseph nugundam =best=com==/==\=IIGS=/==\=Playstation=/==\=Civic HX CVT=/==\
#        Anime Expo 1998        >> www.anime-expo.org/                      >