Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:19:17 +0200
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
Subject:   Re: 7.0-BETA1

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 11:08:27PM +0200, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> rihad wrote:

> >How risky is it to start using 7.0-BETA1 in production, with the
> >intention of upgrading to release as soon as possible? Thanks.

> We've used 7-CURRENT since January on a couple of production boxes and
> had very few disasters, well, none, but a couple of issues.

> "Risky" is a relative term really, but if you ask me I'd say the "risk"
> is rather low.

> But: TEST FIRST!

I concur with Per.  I've been running 7-CURRENT on a couple of "production"
machines for some months, without any serious problems -- but these are not
mission-critical machines.

Risk is a relative thing, and it is relative to both the risk of failure and
the cost of that failure should it occur.  I have 7- running on one fileserver
that is used only by our IT group (for online copies of distfiles and other
installable software), meaning that if something should go horribly wrong, it
would be an annoyance, but not a disaster. The same could _not_ be said about
our central user fileservers, and so they do not run 7-.

I could also note that I've been running 7-CURRENT on my own workstation
(including X, but only fvwm2 and nothing too fancy) for about 6 months, and
have experienced no serious problems (though I have swapped out SCHED_4BSD
for SCHED_ULE due to poor interactivity with 4BSD).

And I also emphasise:  TEST FIRST!  My situation is not the same as yours,
and something that works fine in my environment may break horribly in yours.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL