Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:21:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> Jordan, I don't know how you think bugs get found, but in my experience
> they get found by people giving the code a workout.  In order to get
> a stable "R" release, this means that the code has to be given a workout
> BEFORE the release - during the "A/B/G" phases.

And I guess I don't know what you consider "production" systems, but I
would still never bring such a system into a true production
environment, period..  I would test it on another machine using
*simulated* load or some collection of my users who were in turn
explictly BETA customers themselves, but anything more than this and
you're running plain off the rails and NOT doing what I try to
recommend that FreeBSD's users do (e.g. "don't run pre-releases on
your production hardware!").

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

					Jordan