Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:06:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        rh@matriplex.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:29:40 EDT
> From: Bsdguru@aol.com

> If theres one thing that non-unix people have learned about unix
> is that the "cost" of the product is insignificant compared to
> the value of time in getting it to function. Its already free to
> anyone who knows what they are doing. A "distribution" has to add
> value by cutting the time to usefulness.

Precisely why I dislike(d) RedHat.  Hairy SysV-style init scripts,
tons of setuid root binaries, every daemon under the sun running by
default... ick!  Yet this is the most popular distro among newbies,
simply because they can get the illusion of results without any
Clue.

*ix also increases awareness of what one _should_ know.  Look how
easy it is to crack an out-of-the-box NT4/5 install.  Just because
one can "get results" doesn't mean that it's the right way.  If
somebody needs wizards, singing mice, and dancing teddy bears to
bind an IP to a NIC, are they really competent enough to run a
network?

Sorry, not knowing what the @#$! one is doing does not translate
into the OS having a high time until usefulness.  IMHO, FreeBSD's
TUU and TCO are _so_ much lower than Linux or NT... that's one of
the non-technical reasons that I love it so.

On a totally different subject, I'm curious:  <bsdguru@aol.com>
seems like such an ironic e-mail address that I must enquire about
the story behind that one...

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence