Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:34:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Geoff Rehmet" <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

Sean Eric Fagan writes :

> 1.  /dev/bpf0 is mode 400, root.wheel -- to read it, you need to break root.
> 2.  If you can break root, you can rebuild a kernel with BPF *anyway*.

Not quite - bpf is potentially dangerous where a sysadmin is inexperienced.
On a system with a generic kernel and no source on it, it may be fairly
difficult to get a kernel with bpf onto the system.  Where there is an
experienced admin, this becomes less of an issue.

I am not trying to stop DHCP being added to the tree.  It may even be
necessary to use bpf initially, but there must be a more elegant way -
having a quick look around - it would be a good idea to look at the
code which already exists in libstand (/usr/src/lib/libstand/bootp.c).
I haven't had an exhaustive look through the code, but this should
give the necessary material to work out another way of doing things.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Rehmet,
The Internet Solution