Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:31:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

> >Doubt this would work.  The reason the present system works (Linux
> >emulation under FreeBSD) is because it's in FreeBSD's interest to support
> >the linux emulation.  The reverse isn't true, unfortunately.
>
> Doesn't matter. WE'd do it, just as AT&T created Plan 9 emulation for
> UNIX.

An emulation that the typical Linux user had to download and
incorporate into their kernel in order to get it to work would, by no
means, make the average software vendor jump up and down about how
FreeBSD was now a universal API (as Brett desires).  That's too much
to expect of the typical Linux user.  That means you couldn't just
take the "doesn't matter" attitude here since you'd want the emulation
*bundled* into Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc. in order to be
effective.  Please, at least think things through to a minimal degree
while you're making your wish lists. :)

> Because FreeBSD, by some estimates, has 2/3 the installed base of Linux.

I think those estimates probably involved large amounts of crack
cocaine.  There's no way in hell we're 2/3rds their size; that's wishful
thinking on a grand scale.

- Jordan