Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2009 21:16:52 +0300
From:      Dmitriy Demidov <dima_bsd@inbox.lv>
To:        Paolo Pisati <p.pisati@oltrelinux.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keep-state rules inadequately handles big UDP packets or	fragmented IP packets?

On Thursday 02 April 2009, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > Ok then we may have a plan:
> >
> > you could do is implement REASS as an action (not as a microinstruction),
> > with the following behaviour:
> >
> > - if the packet is a complete one, the rule behaves as a "count"
> >   (i.e. the firewall continues with the next rule);
> >
> > - if the packet is a fragment and can be reassembled, the rule
> >   behaves as a "count" and the mbuf is replaced with the full packet;
> >
> > - if the packet is a fragment and cannot be reassembled, the
> >   rule behaves as a "drop" (i.e. processing stops)
> >   and the packet is swallowed by ipfw.
> >
> > This seems a useful behaviour, but it must be documented very
> > clearly because it is not completely intuitive. Perhaps we should
> > find a more descriptive name.
>
> committed yesterday in HEAD as "reass" action, and here is the 7.x
> patch: http://people.freebsd.org/~piso/ipfw-reass-7x.diff

Hi Paolo.

Thank you for this work! I think it is a good feature that will makes ipfw
more clear and extends it's usability for future use.

Hey, you deserve a reward for this work! Do you remember about 500WMZ bounty?
Please, if you wanna to get it - contact with me outside of this list.
Or I will transfer this money as a donation into FreeBSD Foundation :)

Good luck!