Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:42:23 -0600
From:      Christopher Uy <cuy@uswest.net>
To:        Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
Cc:        Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>, Inix ZixinG <inix@manutd.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email Server

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 05:21:42PM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Mark Conway Wirt wrote:
>
> > People will swear by (and at!)
> >
> >    sendmail
>
> Don't play with this one unless you want to read the O'Reilley book, or
> if your customers are going to be telnetting into the box... although
> there is loads of documentation for sendmail, it's buggy, over-complicated
> to configure, and less flexible than other solutions.

Why would you have to read the entire O'Reilley book to do what he was
originally asking to do?  The documentation that comes with the
distribution should be more than sufficient for setting up his
original requirements.

As far as telnetting into the box, I'm not sure why sendmail relates
here?  If its with regards to compatibility with MUAs, the other MTAs
mentioned (i.e. qmail and postfix) can "emulate" sendmail commands and
can be used in conjunction with most popular clients to send mail.

And while I do agree that it's probably over-complicated for detailed
configuring, I would argue that it's probably the _most_ flexible of
all the solutions.

> >    qmail
>
> Main advantage to qmail is the maildir format, which if you want to be
> able to have 2-3 mail servers and pop servers sharing the spools via NFS
> avoids all sorts of locking issues...
>
> >    postfix
>
> Over-simplified and not mature yet. Has potential though.

I'd say the main advantage to qmail and postfix are that they're both
known to be very secure.  Qmail had an unclaimed prize of $10,000 (I
think) to anyone that could prove that it wasn't secure.  Postfix was
written by Wietse Venema who authored tcp wrappers, SATAN, and various
other security utilities.

Qmail is a probably a little more mature than postfix in that it's
been around longer.  Man people prefer postfix because it's probably a
better "drop-in" replacement for sendmail.  Both can support
delivering mail in Maildir format, though.

- chris
--
Christopher Uy                                 U S WEST Internet Services
Systems Engineer                                     600 Stinson Blvd. 3S

      "The Two Rules of Success: 1. Don't tell everything you know."