Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:02:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        JAKO Andras <goya@eik.bme.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EtherExpress Pro/10+

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, JAKO Andras wrote:

> I've got a problem with my Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ nic.  I use a TP
> cable.
{...}
> ping my default gateway.)  The solution is to do some random
>
> ifconfig [-]link[012]
>
> Sometimes I do some 6 or 7 ifconfig commands, sometimes only 1 of them
> helps, and sometimes the nic works just fine as I start up my box, without
> any further actions.

After posting my previous reply, it occurred to me to suggest that running
the softset utility, and making sure that the connector (AUI/BNC/TP) is
explicitly set and not set to autodetect might be worth doing, as the link
flags for this driver (used to?) relate to selecting the media.  If you're
connecting via a switch, it might not be negotiating reliably.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac@pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia