Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:06:11 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        David David <ddavid@ican.net>
Cc:        stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Scanner and Sound

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:49:21PM -0400, David David wrote:

> I originally posted this on questions, but I'm assuming with no replies
> it was the wrong list so I'm posting here to see if anyone can help out:

-questions was the right place.

> Would anyone have some idea's on setting up an HP ScannJet 5P on
> FreeBSD4.0?
>
> The scsi cards that came with it, is a Symbios Logic 53c416, but from
> what i have been able to gather so far is there are no drivers for it in
> FreeBSD.
>
> Now, a dmesg show's " unknown: <SYM 53C416> at port 0x220-0x23f irq5 on
> isa0"
>
> So does this mean that there is support and its just not set up in the
> kernel, or is this just on account of the PNP probing from the kernel?.

Nope, it means that PNPBIOS saw the device and nothing else wanted it.
I think you're SOL with that card.  The cards that come with scanners
are usually trash.  You'll probably need a new one.

> I have PNPBIOS set in the kernel, which was required for PCM, for my
> vibra 16 card i have. ( according to Lint )
>
> Kernel version--> 4.0-STABLE ( from uname -a )
>
> On a side note,
>
> unknown0: <PNP0000> at port 0x20-0x21,0xa0-0xa1 irq 2 on isa0
> unknown1: <PNP0200> at port
[snip]
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
> unknown9: <SYM 53C416> at port 0x220-0x23f irq 5 on isa0
>
> I'm assuming this is because PNPBIOS is in the kernel, but is there
> anyway of stoping this type of output, or preventing it all together?

It's here to stay, just ignore it.

> Another issue here is that, while running Linux, the io and irq for the
> sound card is listed as what the SYM card above is set on, with the
> sound card now set as such,
>
> sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port 0x240-0x24f,0x300-0x301,0x388-0x38b
> irq 9 drq 0,1 on isa0
> sbc0: setting card to irq 9, drq 0, 1
> pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> on sbc0
>
> With the SYM card set as 0x240 and irq 10, far different than what it is
> here. The sound works fine for cd's right now, but with most of my MP3
> there is a terrible scratching noise, which only goes away ( for some )
> by restarting the playing 2 or 3 times.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  ISA devices can't share
IRQs.  Is PnP OS off in your BIOS?

-- Brooks