Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:56:30 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DragonFlyBSD mail agent

Le jeudi 08 janvier 2009, vous avez =E9crit=A0:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:48:10PM +0100, Michel Talon wrote:
> > This mail agent doesn't offer anything compelling compared to sendmail,
> > only it is much smaller and presumably more secure.
>
> I have previously seen it advocated for base as an alternative for
> systems that e.g. only need to send cronmail.
>
> mcl

I am using DragonFly mail agent on some jails since a few months and it wor=
ks=20
OK. Hence dma.tgz compiles out of the box and works as advertised on FreeBS=
D.

I can give some information on the configuration: this shows the simplicity=
 of
the configuration file.

jail1% cat /etc/dma/dma.conf

# $DragonFly: src/etc/dma/dma.conf,v 1.2 2008-02-04 10:11:41 matthias Exp $
#
# Your smarthost (also called relayhost).  Leave blank if you don't want
# smarthost support.  Here i take the base host as smarthost
SMARTHOST niobe

# Use this SMTP port.  Most users will be fine with the default (25)
PORT 25

# Path to your alias file.  Note it reads aliases, not aliases.db. Same fil=
e =20
# as sendmail aliases.
ALIASES /etc/mail/aliases

# Path to your spooldir.  Just stay with the default.
SPOOLDIR /var/spool/dma

# Path to your virtual user file.  Just stay with the default.
VIRTPATH /etc/dma/virtusertable

To deliver local mail it seems that dma needs to be suid root:
jail1% ls -l /usr/libexec/sendmail/dma
=2Dr-sr-sr-x  1 root  mail  42904 Aug 20 00:45 /usr/libexec/sendmail/dma

The spool directory is
drwxrwxr-x  2 root   mail    2 Jan  8 03:05 dma