Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:20:20 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/12995: linux-base won't install properly.

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Fri 1999-08-06 (12:07), Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > > It stops.
> > >
> > > Having had this problem myself, I found out it was because of the
> > > rpm's post-install calling ldconfig, which segfaults.
> > >
> > > A few other of the rpm's do that too, when last I did it.
> >
> > If you have FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, I suggest you upgrade to -stable. There
> > was a problem in the ELF loader which was fixed just after the release. If
> > you have a not-so-recent -stable, try defining NEEDLOADLINK. See the
> > Makefile for details.
> >
> > If you update your ports collection, also update your system.
> >
> > Let me know if your problems remain.
>
> Oh, it's not important to me, specifically, I was just describing what
> happens, to speed up the analysis of the problem.

The error you gave always pops up, but doesn't stop the install. That's
what's confusing. We were aware of the error, but not of any install
failures :-)

> It's a bit of a show-stopper, unfortunately - maybe we can '||' away the
> failing rpm installs, or see if it sets exit codes nicely.  Or maybe use
> --noscripts to rpm on trouble cases.

The errors are already handled. When the install fails, then you must
experience other problems.

> I think we should try to at least support the last release, or give a
> nice friendly warning if we can detect the person is unlikely to be able
> to complete the install.  We'll not be liked if it seems that "linux
> compatibility" is no longer available on our latest -RELEASE.

3.x is supported. you just need to set NEEDLOADLINK in a certain case.

> I'll grab the package, and see if that installs and works properly, and
> try using one of the methods above to ease the port build.  And I'll see
> what "NEEDLOADLINK" does too.

Thanks. Any feedback is welcome. It helps us finetune the port.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/