Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:49:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't make certain ports

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> One of the responders to your question said 'make clean' removes the
> old source.  I believe that this is incorrect.  It removes the old
> OBJECT code, which of course is generated when the source is compiled.
> When a port is updated, at least three things must happen for you to
> be able to use the new version.

This is vague at best - make clean, in a port, removes everything in the
work directory and the work directory itself.  It does not touch anything
in /usr/ports/distfiles.

> First, 'pkg_delete' or 'make deinstall'.  It would seem to me that
> once you have cvsupped, the PKG list may have changed for the new
> version of the port, so a 'pkg_delete' would be more likely to remove
> every vestige of the old package.

The package listing in /var/db/pkg holds the old packing list.  You can
have an updated version of a particular port, but the package registry
maintains the packing list for the version you installed.

> Second, 'make', possibly preceded by a 'make clean' just to be safe,
> if you like.  This fetches and compiles the source, of course, and
> produces the binaries and man pages.

If you have no work directory, make clean is just holding you up.  :-)

> I think one potential area of confusion is this:  Again, IF I
> UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY (and i think i do ;-) 'make deinstall' calls
> pkg_delete, but if the makefile has been changed by a recent cvsup,
> there is always the possibility this may not work correctly, although
> it SHOULD.  I generally use pkg_delete just to be safe.

Nope - as noted above - make deinstall calls pkg_delete which reads off
its OWN original packing list, not what's in
/usr/ports/some_dir/some_port/pkg/PLIST.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *