Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:12:55 -0700
From:      "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
To:        "Oliver Iberien" <odilist@sonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New widescreen monitor, old radeon card - will this not work?

On 9/3/06, Oliver Iberien <odilist@sonic.net> wrote:
> As usual, as soon as I post, I discover the correct search string to get me to
> the answer:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions%40freebsd.org/msg147148.html
>
> This poster even bought the same monitor I did. Does anyone know: Will newer
> nvidia cards generally work at this resolution? It seems safest just to get
> the one he did.
>

> > I have a new monitor with the following specs:
> > Horiz 31-87 kHz
> > Vert 56-75 Hz
> > 1680x1050@60Hz

I don't know of any reason a less-that-eight-year-old Radeon card
couldn't support that resolution. I think you only need <64MB video
memory to support that resolution at 32bit color. Some monitors need
extra settings in the config line though.

I have recently tested 1680x1050,32bit color with Nvidia 6600, 6800,
7900 cards. (On MS Win, linux though. )

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--