Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 2010 05:37:36 -0400
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good Terminal for X?

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 06:41:11PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:12:47PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 11:26:10AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Try x11/rxvt-unicode. It doesn't require Gnome nor KDE libraries, and=
 it does
> > > handle unicode well. It's a lot lighter than xterm. And it has transp=
arancy or
> > > backgrounds if you like that.
> >=20
> > It's not "a lot lighter" - I made a table recently to investigate.
> > See
> >=20
> > 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#bug_rxvt
>=20
> Thanks for the research.  I had no idea rxvt-unicode had gotten so big.

The base size has certainly increased well beyond the original rxvt.
The total size seems to be from the transparency support.

One thing that surprised me in collecting the data was noting the
terminals which are mostly implemented as libraries.  Their main
programs can be quite small.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net