Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13002: attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen mode locks syscons

The following reply was made to PR kern/13002; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: lcremeans@erols.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject: Re: kern/13002: attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen
	 mode locks syscons
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 08:52:45 +0900

 >>Number:         13002
 >>Category:       kern
 >>Synopsis:       attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen mode
 >locks syscons
 [...]
 >>Release:        3.2-STABLE
 >When I use snes9x in its fullscreen mode (which uses XFree86 DGA and
 >VME), and try to switch from X to the console while fullscreen is
 >enabled, syscons completely locks up -- I can't switch back to the
 >console even after quitting snes9x and restarting X. Only a reboot
 >resets it.

 First, I would like to point out that when the X server is running, it
 is the X server which is in control of vt switching, not syscons.
 Therefore, when you are unable to switch from the X server to a text
 vty, it means that the X server is somehow refusing vt switching;
 syscons can do nothing in this situation.

 However, you seem to be having difficulty even after you quit snes9x.
 Would you describe some more details?  When you quit snes9x, do you
 also quit the X server and drop to the text console from which you
 started the X server and snes9x?

 >>How-To-Repeat:
 >Run snes9x with the -y switch (you have to be root or have snes9x setuid
 >for this to work, since it wants /dev/mem), then switch to fullscreen mode
 >with PrtSc, try to switch to console 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), then quit snes9x and
 >try again -- it'll refuse to work.

 What is actually happening when you say "it'll refuse to work"?

 What if you do NOT hit Ctl-Alt-F1 while snes9x is running and quit
 snes9x and the X server?

 Kazu