Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 22:58:03 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.4-release box stalling out

	Hi there.  3.4-Release, 64 megs of ram, using ipfilter 3.4.4 with ipnat.
	Mbufs were at default.
	Max users were at 64.
	using ICMP_bandwidth limiting,
	tcp synfin blocking
	tcp_rst restrict.

	Those were the most notable kernel configuration options.  The rest was
default.  Slow degradation of TCP/IP socket opening requests.  I.e.  Takes
a long time to ssh in.  (and it is not network traffic as I can ssh to the
box next to it fine.).  It gets so bad, that soon almost all requests are
rejected.  OS does not note any wide range DoS attacks.  Is there an easy
way for me to check?  netstat -a i guess?  My best guess is not enough
mbufs.  (sorry, when I did netstat -m, i didn't see the peak.. :(  ).  I am
using ipfilter with full stateful goodness.  So maybe it is overflowing
somehow?  I also thought maybe tcp_rst restrict might be doing something
since even though we are not a web server, we are running port 80
requests?  ( I guess no relation?).  I guess I will run pstat -T; netstat
-m next time it happens.
	I checked 3.4-release errata and no mention of any issues.  Is there
something I missed?  I tried to be as descriptive as possible.  If this
report is not sufficient, could someone please tell me what else I should
describe?  Thanks guys!

-Carroll Kong