Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:35:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HELP!  Removing bad144

I am attempting to upgrade one of my servers to 4.0 from 3.3-STABLE and
seem to be mostly there except for one problem: all of the current drives
employ bad144 mapping and the new IDE disk devices no longer support
bad144. I've looked thru the archives and found only how to ADD bad144,
not remove it.

How can I remove bad144 bad sector mapping on existing drives without
reformatting them?

<justification>

Now before I get flamed for having the 'ancient' bad144 mapping in the
first place, let me say that *ALL* of my machines have bad144 maps because
of past experience with drives. The common wisdom is that all modern IDE
drives to remapping automatically... unfortunately, this is not the case.
I've had a couple of Western Digital drives in the past year that had
started popping up with bad sectors. WD tech support said that many of
their IDE drives do NOT automatically do bad sector remapping. Before
returning the drive, I ran the WD DOS utility on it, not hoping for
anything. To my surprise it scanned the disk, say "I found errors" and
asked if I wanted to fix (remap, I assume) them. The drive then was fine
and FBSD was happy with it. So I ran bad144 and have added that to the
sysinstall every system I built afterward.

</justification>

-Dave