Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 01:30:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 or 6x86 ?

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:

> Jakob recently asked:
> > I've got plans to buy a new processor. I've done some research, and
> > found that I should get either an AMD K6 or a Cyrix 6x86. Now I have
> > to choose.
> >
> > That's the problem. Both of them are quite cheap and seems to be quite fast.
> >
> > So, anybody, which one should I go for? Any recomendations?
>
> The 6x86 and K6 are *very* different processors.
>
> The 6x86 is essentially a souped-up 486, with Pentium-class speeds.  In
> the 166 and 200 Mhz variants, it runs quite hot.  Integer performance
> is near the claimed "Pentium rating," but floating point performance is
> quite a bit lower.  I'm loathe to use the 6x86 because of the heat
> factor; most PCs already run too hot and yet make too much noise due to
> the inefficient layout of the case and various other stupidities that
> are a given in the PC world.

The newer 6x86Ls (low voltage version of the 6x86) are pretty much cool to
the touch (feel the heatsink), so heat is no longer a problem.  A
switching voltage regulator on the motherboard will also substantially
reduce internal computer heat.

> The AMD K5 is a Pentium-class processor with good performance at low
> cost.  I have several K5 FreeBSD machines here at home and at work, all
> of them are quite impressive.  The K5/166, with slightly better
> performance than the Pentium 166 in most areas, is selling for about
> $95 around here.  Quite a bargain.
>
> The AMD K6 has performance in line with the Pentium Pro/Pentium II
> range, and includes a version of the "MMX" instructions.  While it has
> quite good performance, it is slightly more expensive than the Pentium
> Pro.  The K6 also fits the Pentium-standard "socket 7."  I haven't

Hmmm.... If I'm not mistaken the Pentium Pro 200 (256K) is more expensive
then the K6-200 which is under $400 now.

> tried FreeBSD on a K6 yet, because I don't have $350 to spend on a
> processor (when I can buy a K5/166, motherboard, and 32 Mb RAM for the
> same amount!).
>
> So, if you're looking for a good performance bargain, I think the K5
> will outperform the 6x86 for the money, up to about PR166.

Yes, the K5 is a bargain.