Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:49:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bill Hussey <vfrboy@home.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't build kernel (was: Yo Quiero vnode_if.h)

On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at  1:59:45 -0400, Bill Hussey wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     So I've got here your 3.1 distribution set of FreeBSD.  Great book
> by the way.

Glad you like it.

> Anway, I go to do my first ever kernel compile and sure enough I've
> got problems.  Running /usr/sbin/config goes fine, but when I go to
> do the make, /usr/src/sys/sys/vnode.h (line 457) and
> /usr/src/sys/isofs/cd9660/cd9660_bmap.c (line 43) both make
> references to a vnode_if.h .  Needless to say, "No such file or
> directory
> *** Error code 1 "   yada yada ya.

Alas, that's The Book's fault :-(  Since it was written, it became
mandatory to perform a 'make depend' before 'make': the 'make depend'
creates the vnode_if.h.  That's in the errata available at
http://www.lemis.com/errata.html.

>     And ohh yes, one other thing.  I've got an internal, IDE Iomega Zip
> drive.  The drive is recognized by the default kernel and I can create
> the device file using MAKEDEV (/dev/wfd0).  When I go to mount it, the
> Zip drive goes active, like it's spinning up the disk, and then I get
> an, "incorrect super block" message.
>
> cc69595-a# cd /dev
> cc69595-a# ./MAKEDEV wfd0
> cc69595-a# mount /dev/wfd0 /zip
> mount: /dev/wfd0 on /zip: incorrect super block
> cc69595-a#
>
>     I'm 90% sure that this is because the Zip disks are Dos
> formatted,

I'm 100% sure.  If you want to mount an MS-DOS file system, you need
the option -t msdos:

  # mount -t msdos /dev/wfd0 /zip

If you don't specify a file system type, mount assumes that it's UFS.

I've never used a zip disk, and I'm not sure if /dev/wfd0 is the
correct device; you may find you need /dev/wfd0s1 or some such.  Maybe
somebody else can comment on this, or you can try it out.

> and as I read it in the book, there is no way to format an IDE drive
> except, as the book puts it, to format it with the BIOS.  What does
> this mean?

When you boot up some machines, the BIOS setup screens include a hard
disk format utility.  You can use this to format (in Microsoft terms:
low-level format) an IDE disk.  I'm pretty sure that's not necessary.

> Is there any way I can get my Zip to drive to work and how can
> I format the disks?

I think that what you want to do is to create MS-DOS file systems.
This isn't formatting, though Microsoft sometimes calls it that.  You
can create MS-DOS file systems with the mformat command.  You can
create ufs file systems with newfs.  Both are described in The Book.

Greg