Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:18:43 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@FreeBSD.org, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Subject:   Re: PathScale EKO Path 5 not for FreeBSD anymore?

I forwarded this thread to Christopher Bergst=F6m and got this reply:

> ----------------
> FreeBSD simply isn't a scientific computing platform - There isn't any =
market demand, it's not designed for it, many of the tools commonly used =
aren't available and the amount of work to change that is significant.  =
(I don't just mean technical, but also mindshare for those in the =
technical computing field)
> ----------------
> However, we haven't dropped support for it
> =
http://c591116.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/enzo/nightly/FreeBSD/enzo-2013-02-19-in=
staller.run
>=20
> There's a few GPGPU related bugs we'd have to fix for it to work for =
you, but those are pretty small and wouldn't take more than a few days.
> ----------------
> We made some big changes in EKOPath 5/ENZO and development is closed =
for now.  We're trying to figure out a strategy which will have an =
impact and be win/win for everyone.
> ----------------
> Apologies if I may have dropped the ball on communication.  I'm not =
subscribed to -current or -performance and please cc me on any replies.
>=20
> ./C

A few additional comments:

- FreeBSD libm really needs to get the missing C99 functions committed.  =
We have good versions of these written now (with better accuracy than =
several competing operating systems that are successful scientific =
computing platforms), but they need committing.  Of the 31 test failures =
in the libc++ test suite (which covers most of C++11) that I see =
currently, 18 are due to missing C99 functionality.  Most of the missing =
functions are implemented, but committing them was held up by style nits =
in the source code.  This is just embarrassing. =20

- GPU support has been quite poor on FreeBSD, and this has a knock-on =
effect on GPGPU.  It's a mistake to think of GPUs as just things gamers =
need and therefore not too important for FreeBSD - they're currently the =
best performance-per-dollar accelerators available on the market and so =
are of interest in a number of markets.  If you or your company is using =
FreeBSD and wants to do GPGPU things, then make sure that AMD, Intel, =
and nVidia all know, and ideally let Qualcomm and ARM know too.  The =
FreeBSD Foundation has funded work on KMS, GEM and TTM, and so open =
source driver support is improving.  If you're willing to fund some more =
of this work, then please get in touch with the Foundation.  Most of the =
companies in this space don't care what we say, they care what their =
customers (and potential customers) say.  They won't support FreeBSD if =
there's no (perceived) demand, so it's important to make sure that =
they're aware of the demand.

- A big part of the problem is mindshare.  Linux is seen as the thing to =
use on clusters and supercomputers, even when it isn't the best tool for =
the job.  It's hard to contradict this view when there aren't any =
(public) large-scale deployments of FreeBSD for scientific computing.  =
If you have one that you're willing to talk about, please contact the =
Foundation and let them know. =20

David=