Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:57:32 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > If anyone is taking a vote, I disagree. I do not want any system
> > ever assuming anything about my network. Even Win checks with the
> > user before enabling DHCP.
>
> FYI: The networking bootstrap process I described above
> is derived from the process used by Windows 98 and above,
> as it comes configured by default on systems with integral
> network cards.

Personally, I don't consider win98 a reference point
by which to model OS design. When you say win98 and
above do you include the NT line (win2k)? With
the _current_ IPv4 network, I don't see any good
reason for servers to use DHCP, and FreeBSD is
primarily a server OS, so why should it default
to DHCP?

> The "link.local" draft RFC for doing the
> IPv4 stateless autoconfiguration was coauthored by a
> Microsoft employee.

I'm not familiar with the standards you reference
above, what's the RFC#?

> See the IETF "ZEROCONF" working group for more details:
> this stuff is going to be part of the standards soon.

Possibly. But then again, IPv6 will change a number of the
rules as we know them. Which will be adopted and come into
widespread use first is a matter for fortune tellers.

-Bill