Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        dillon@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Subject:   Re: /tmp on a ramdisk?

On 30-Jul-00 Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> The issue is that mount_mfs is simply newfs with a catch: it
> constructs the new filesystem completely in memory and lives on as
> the storage for the mounted filesystem.  If you view the processes on
> a system using MFS, you will notice that one of them is the original
> mount_mfs, having become a daemon.
>
> Yes, things are stored twice in memory: once in the buffer cache and
> once in the MFS process.  Yes, they are also copied multiple times.
> MFS simply can't perform as well as you might expect.  The malloc disk
> device can because it simply creates a kernel-memory backing store.
> The disadvantage here is that it's wired memory and can't get swapped
> out like mount_mfs can.
>
> --
>  Brian Fundakowski Feldman           \  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!  /

 Please forgive my late reply.. Just trying to catch up..

 Given all of the above statements, why does BSD/OS (at least on 4.0 and 4.1)
want to set up tmp as a Ramdisk? I don't even think there is a way around it
during the install.

  Nicole

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/