Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:00:21 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Emmanuel Rens <rens.emmanuel@wanadoo.fr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: many ports refuse to make

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Emmanuel Rens wrote:
>
>> thank you, I would appreciate very much if you can give me some more
>> advice on updating the INDEX because I don't find mention of this
>> procedure in the Handbook nor in CVSup FAQ
>

> I was trying to see where a good reference was and was out of time
> before I even got started. If you do a man ports, one of the make
> options is "index".
>
> cd /usr/ports
> make index
>
> or
>
> portsdb -uU
>
> if you use portupgrade. I use portupgrade and added ports/INDEX to my
> refuse file. I upgrade my ports with a script and I run portsdb -uU
> everytime I do an update.

A side effect of this in countries where Internet costs are based on
bytes transfered is that you are using your machine to maintain your
INDEX files. Checking out the INDEX every time you cvsup ports-all
requires downloading a fairly large file.

I just checked http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/INDEX and
Kris updated INDEX only 3 days ago. You might have something else
going on. It is always possible to catch a port in the middle of an
update by the maintainer. I usually recvsup, make my INDEX, and see if
I get the same error.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA