Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:43:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        fidol@etnlx.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 fidol@etnlx.lcs.mit.edu wrote:

>           I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE over a Network by
means of a Ethernet controller. The model is EtherLink III. I already set
up the Hardware configuration, but at the time to choose the network
installation I get only:

>   - cuaa0 serial port COM 1
>   - cuaa1 serial port COM 2
>   - lp0 parallel port
> etc.

>   My question is: where is the option for Ethernet? It means that the
system has not recognized the board?

Yes.  You need to type '-c' at the Boot: prompt to get the configuration
utility, then program ep0 with the proper IRQ and base address settings.

You will have to disable Plug and Play on the card, otherwise it'll drive
FreeBSD nuts.  Use the 3c5x9cfg utility to turn it off.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant