Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:20:03 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        max@iclub.nsu.ru (Max Khon)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/PCI troubles

Max Khon stands accused of saying:

> > How about giving us a complete description of the problem, including
> > what (if anything) differs between the Linux and FreeBSD
> > configurations of the card.
>
> Linux uses PCNet32/PCNet PCI optimized driver (dword i/o operations),
> while FreeBSD uses Generic LANCE/PCNet driver (word i/o access mode)
> btw, is there anybody going to write PCNet32/PCNet PCI driver for FreeBSD?
> Linux (and Win95 ;) have no troubles with these network cards

This isn't a useful problem description.

To answer your question; someone will write a driver if/when they
decide it's worth their effort.  At the moment, it's easier to buy a
card that works than run around writing and supporting a driver for a
pile of ungrateful users.

> > For that matter, have you tried running Linux on this _particular_
> > machine?
>
> yep. and it runs perfectly. the only reason to against installing Linux is
> that our main server is a FreeBSD box (YP password shadowing will not work
> with Linux clients)

Well, I guess you have your choice; software that works but is slightly
choosy about hardware, or software that loves your hardware but
basically doesn't work.

Now, if you actually costed your time, and the time that people have
spent answering your questions, you'd probably find that it would have
been more cost-effective to visit your local Electron Hut and buy a
Tulip-based PCI ethernet adapter (about US$50 retail).