Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:25:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org, Gregory James Hormann <ghormann@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC Memory Corrupt

Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-questions: 17-Feb-97 Re: NIC
Memory Corrupt by Gregory J. Hormann@india
>> I have a SMC 8416T ethernet card.  When FreeBSD boots I get the
>> following message:
>>
>> Starting Routing Daemon: Route ED0: NIC Memory Corrupt
>> ED0: NIC Memory Corrupt - Invalid Packet Length 4864
>
>I have the same stupid card.  I would get those messages sent to syslogd
>every 10-30 minutes, but the card still seemed to function correctly.  I
>finally changed isa/if_ed.c to prevent the loggings...

I have the EtherEZ, which identifies itself as that chipset:

ed0: address 00:00:c0:77:bb:a8, type SMC8416T (16 bit)

However, I found I got that error when I had the iomemory range set to
small in the cards configuration.  In the end, I had to turn of PnP on
the card, and configure it to these settings:

ed0 at 0x220-0x23f irq 3 maddr 0xd0000 msize 8192 on isa

Part of the problem was the memory window was the wrong size, I seem to
remember.  I had a big problem when PnP was turned on because things
would jump around like crazy whenever I changed a legacy card -- it
would happily move the ethernet card somewhere else without warning, and
since I don't have the PnP code running on this machine.. :)

Robert