Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:04:43 +0200
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SNMP access to pf ALTQ data?

On 2006-07-08 11:02:49 (+0200), Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:18:12AM -0500, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
> > Is it possible to track pf ALTQ usage with MRTG? I notice that FreeBSD's
> > built-in bsnmpd has a module and mibs to support pf, but I know too little
> > about SNMP to figure out how to access the queue stats.
> >
> > Specifically, I'm looking to make a series of MRTG graphs that show the
> > total bytes that pass through each queue. I figure if worst comes to
> > worst, I can work out a separate program that parses the output of 'pfctl
> > -vsq' and returns that as MRTG-readable input, but it would be much
> > smoother to get it via SNMP, if it can be done.
>
> Some queue related values are available, take a look at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/bsnmpd/modules/snmp_pf/
>
> especially the BEGEMOT-PF-MIB.txt file.

I've not had much time lately to keep pf_snmp up to date with reality.

> But pf_snmp.c doesn't use the DIOCGETQSTATS ioctl to fetch those byte
> counters you're looking for.
>
> Maybe Philip can add them.

I'll take a look at that this weekend.  Thanks for the tip!

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                     Calm down ... it is only ones and zeros
philip@freebsd.org

  "Oh, a very useful philosophical animal, your average tortoise.
  Outrunning metaphorical arrows, beating hares in races...  very
  handy."
  	-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)