Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 17:07:09 -0600
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@dorm-36314.rh.uh.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Occassional kernel panics when probing ppbus

Sometimes when I have my printer (Epson Stylus Color IIs) turned on during a
boot up, I receive a kernel panic when ppbus is being probed.  The error is
something along the lines of "supervisor read, page not present."  If there is
anyway to capture the output of the panic short of writing it down, I am not
familiar with the debugger.  Aside from once or twice with a boot disk and once
with an improper kernel for my hardware, this has been the only instance I have
had with a FreeBSD kernel panicing.  It doesn't even happen everytime I boot
with the printer turned on, I think it has only happened twice.  If anyone can
provide me with pointers on how to recover the error message completely, I will
certainly provide a copy of it the next time I see it happen.  In the meantime,
has anyone else seen this problem?

My kernel config:

device ppc0 at isa? port? net irq 7
controller ppbus0
device nlpt0 at ppbus?
device ppi0 at ppbus?

and my dmesg:

ppc0 at 0x3bc irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0

Note that this was with the printer turned off. :)

 --
Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician

Home Page: