Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:51:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> > 	Referring to a), BTW -- since snazzy text modes are such a waste of
> > 	time, how come Søren went to the pains of implementing moused ?
>
> He didn't.  I did. 8)  He wrote the console cursor stuff as an exercise
> in sheer masochism.  8)  (TBH, I made a real mess of moused and other
> people have been responsible for making it work properly.)
>
> > 	Don't tell me it's just to plant a flag and say, "There, we have
> > 	GPM like the Linuxites".  Otherwise he'd have imported GPM, no... ?
>
> No, GPM couldn't be imported; it's Linux-console-specific.  And it _was_
> to shut up the ex-Linux GPM fanatics that moused was written.  So there 8)
>
> > 	Sorry for the hard tone, and yes I did read your following message
> > 	regarding Julian's work -- and yes, I should just STFU and put my
> > 	head down to a better design.
>
> *shrug*  Even just a little work to fix what's actually wrong with the
> current design would be great 8)  Just take some time to work out
> what really needs to be done, rather than jumping whatever the current
> trend claims is The Right Thing.  Not so easy I guess.

I have depicted a solution that will work with our current model, and
even done most of whats needed in syscons, but there has never been
anybody that would take on the work to do it, just a bunch of quickhacks
that will haunt us for the rest of our lives.

See the problem is that if we do this, we MUST support it for all
eventual HW, not just Joe Random Hackers $10 crappy SVGA card, and
thats where the fun stops.

So instead of implementing some 10% solution, and get a support job
from hell trying to explain why VideoCardOfTheDay isn't supported, and
why we havn't the resources/information to do it, I'd much rather let the
X guys have that fun, and spend our valuable time on something else.
(good knows we have enough more pressing things to attend to)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..