Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Yar Tikhiy" <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/15478: incorrect utmp/wtmp records update upon connection being interrupted

The following reply was made to PR kern/15478; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Yar Tikhiy" <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:57:08 +0400

 As I can see, it's hardly a FreeBSD problem. It's the consequence of some
 applications (e.g. xterm, rxvt, screen) modifying utmp bogusly.

 Rxvt and xterm just can't clean up if killed unconditionally.

 As for screen, it does a Very Bad Thing: It takes a user record out of utmp
 at startup. Of course, /sbin/init then won't add a logout record to wtmp if
 the
 session gets aborted. If I were in your shoes, I'd report that to the author
 of screen.

 The instant cure is to remove the set-uid bit from the programs so they
 won't
 mess utmp up.

 If you don't mind, I'd rather close this PR since it has to do nothing
 with FreeBSD.