Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 17:50:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

> >I suppose we should test by making a loadable system call that directly
> >calls the reset code, so as to put the "reset causes a reset reliably,
> >but even though no hardware other than the disk write cache is
> >affected, we believe it's because no one debounced the switch" theory
> >to rest.
>
> Who needs a system call?  The user can easily cause a bus reset to occur
> by opening the XPT device and sending a ccb with the XPT_RESET_BUS
> function code in it.  The alternative is to put the drive on a separate
> power supply.

You were claiming it was the machine reset.

I was suggesting a software method of machine reset to take the
undebounced reset switch out of the equation.

I'm *not* claiming it *is* the SCSI reset, I'm merely claiming that
I don't believe that an undebounced reset switch is any more likely
than a SCSI reset, and that there's a method we can use to verify
or impugn the undebounced reset switch theory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.