Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:35:12 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system

> > [ Removing f77 from the release ]
> > We're getting alot of positive response from people who want it
> > removed.  Aside from Alfred, are they any other dissenters?
>
> 	If we do yank it--with or without extreme prejudice--then
> 	when some non-geek user does an % appropos fortran, he should
> 	see something like
>
> 	fortran:  you gotta port it if you wanna use it.

???

The existing ports of Fortran will still exist, and *IF* this happens
someone (ie; not me) will have to build an f77 port.  I'll be glad to do
the 'commit' bits, but I need someone to help me with the grunt work.

That way the equivalent functionality will exist in the ports directory.
It'll just mean adding 'yet another' port to the system, which now is
pretty common for almost every installation.

Nate