Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:24:20 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        unknown@riverstyx.net (Tani Hosokawa), brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

>> > In fact, BSD UNIX in general would be far ahead, because it has been around
>> > longer.
>>
>> I'm curious -- How long has FreeBSD existed?
>
>FreeBSD is a direct descendent of a planned 0.5 interim release of
>386BSD.  It was released as FreeBSD when Bill Jolitz denied the
>use of the 386BSD trademark in order to prevent the release, and
>backed out of the agreement whereby the 0.5 interim release was
>being prepared.  The denial came about as a result of a firestorm
>on Usenet, touched off by Lynne Jolitz.
>
>As a derivative work of 386BSD 0.1, FreeBSD can properly be said
>to have existed as long as 386BSD existed, even though the 2.x
>code branch is 4.4BSD-Lite derived and contains no 386BSD code.
>
>In other words, FreeBSD dates to 1991.

   386BSD 0.0 was released in March 1992. 0.1 didn't come out until mid-92.
FreeBSD 1.0 was released in Q4 1993. The first release of Linux was two
years earlier. We also had the USL lawsuit set us back a fair bit. The
point is that although the codebase is much older than Linux, BSD was
released to the public well after Linux was.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com