Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:13:03 -0700
From:      bmah@cs.berkeley.edu (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bmah@cs.berkeley.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

Tony Kimball writes:
>    From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
>    Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 21:30:39 -0700 (MST)
>
>    > Host, protocol could be encoded in the port number.
>
>    You have *got* to be kidding!
>
> Hey, I'm not the one who wants to recover state.  I'm just trying
> to scam out how it could be done.  You've got a good 15.97 bits to
> work with...

I'd rather not recover state either.  That was my point.  :-)

It's also kind of hard to cram 32 bits of IP address and X bits of
port/application/whatever (where X is small) into 16 bits of port
number, without needing some other kind of shared state.

>    >    > It would be nice to pull out the rewriting stuff into loadable
>    >    > rule sets.
>    >
>    >    It would be nicer to not need them.
>    >
>    > Not an option, though, is it?
>
>    It is for a real proxy.  8-).
>
> "real" proxies are still rewriting packets.  They're just
> spending a lot more to do it.  That's okay, though.

"Real" proxies transform data in the application layer, not by
rewriting packets at the network layer.

> The point is to make it work, not to make it work efficiently.

To quote Terry:  You have *got* to be kidding!

:-)

Bruce.